Last year was a great year for PRSA as a whole, as well as for our local North Florida chapter. We are going into 2017 with about 350 of North Florida's best and brightest PR, communications, marketing and media professionals. Our Board of Directors is committed to providing each of you with the tools and knowledge to enhance your craft and progress your career.
Recently, PRSA released their three-year strategic plan, which I encourage all of our members to read. One of the aspects of PRSA's strategic plan that spoke to me is the section on "The Adaptive Professional." This section discusses how our job roles consist of much more than just public relations. We wear many hats that can include media relations, social media, marketing, communications, copy writing, event planning, crisis communications, advertising and more. Professionals who can grow and adapt to these many roles will be the most successful. The Board took this into consideration when planning out our programs and professional development for the year.
Our Board of Directors is also working on a three-year strategic plan to help move our chapter and our members forward as our industry grows and evolves. While we are building this strategic plan throughout 2017, I'm focusing our efforts on going Back to Basics to ensure we lay a solid foundation on which we build our future. This entails a focus on our programming and member relations. With that, I have a couple of exciting announcements.
Our meetings will now take place on the third Thursday of every month beginning at 4:15 p.m. Our January meeting will be at Maggiano's at the Town Center where you will hear from CSX and JAA leaders about preparing your team, the media and the community during a crisis.
Beginning in February, the rest of our meetings will take place at Intuition Ale Works downtown. Also starting in February, attendees of the meeting will get their first Intuition Ale Works brew on us! I'm very excited about this fun change and I hope all of our members enjoy our 2017 programming.
Finally, keep your eyes and ears open for more information about the 2017 Sunshine District conference which takes place June 23 - 26. The best part? We are on a cruise ship for the conference! When the ship is at sea, experts will share insights about best practices including how to develop video content on a shoestring budget and what lessons can be learned from Hurricane Matthew. Stay tuned for registration information coming very soon!
I'm excited to serve each of you as President this year! Please feel free to reach out to me at any time with questions, concerns, ideas or if you'd like to serve on our Board!
Strategic Marketing Manager, Brooks Rehabilitation
The corporate communications and PR manager will oversee the corporate communications and public relations team. Working with the director of corporate marketing and communications, the incumbent will develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to help promote the One Call brand. Emphasis on media relations, content marketing and digital marketing with the ability to create high quality content is key to this role. Attention to detail, ability to work under tight deadlines and the ability to communicate to all levels of the organization while keeping current on industry trends and editorial opportunities is required.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyzes communications policies, procedures, and standards for efficiency and effectiveness based on the needs of the target audiences and select appropriate communications media.
- Manages all public relations activities.
- Develops a media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print and online media.
- Direct digital marketing/social media team to engage audiences across traditional and new media
- Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business and industry media
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests
- Create high quality content for press releases, byline articles, blog posts, presentations, etc.
- Monitor, analyze and communicate PR and communications results
- Evaluate opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships and advertising on an on-going basis
- Build relationships with thought leaders to grow industry awareness
- Maintain keen understanding of industry trends affecting clients and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy
- Advises senior management on communications initiatives to support company objectives.
- Develops and manages the execution of strategic plans and the implementation of communications tactics.
- Manages the development, production, and implementation of internal and external communications and identifies appropriate communications vehicles (e.g., bulletins, magazines, videos).
- Directs the development of communications vehicles (e.g., advertising, public relations, new releases, press conferences, feature stories, news-media interviews, magazines, newsletters, bulletins, management briefs, videos, brochures, direct mail, slide presentations, special events, marketing booklets, trade shows, verbal and written presentations).
- Coaches company representatives to maximize the effectiveness of their presentations to the news media and other audiences.
- Performs staff leadership role and promotes motivation through effective management and mentoring.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s in public relations, communications or the equivalent combination of education, training, or work experience.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 5-7 years’ experience required
- Proven management experience in public relations required
- Proven track record designing and executing successful public relations campaigns at both a local and national level
- Strong relationships with media outlets
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing integrated communications campaigns with measurable results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to technical and non-technical audiences of various levels in the organization (e.g. executive, management, individual contributors)
- Proficiency in communication practices and techniques
- Knowledge of the production requirements for printed material, television and/or radio advertising
- Knowledge of project management methods and techniques
- Proficiency to supervise, lead and manage effectively staff members
- Excellent problem solving, team and time management skills managing multiple deadlines for self and others
- Proficiency in evaluating the performance capabilities of subordinates as well as counsel subordinates in development and/or corrective discipline
The Communications & Media Relations Manager identifies and creates opportunities to build public awareness of Club services, programs and activities to media and publicity partners across the city. This candidate will work directly with News media and appropriate news media personalities. Adapts or creates messages and vehicles for promoting upcoming events or programs to the public and members, including newsletters, public service announcements, flyers, etc. Evaluates success of strategy, materials and media and modify as necessary. Works closely with program and management staff to determine potential audiences and best approaches.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
- Responsible for overseeing communications to the media, including preparing articles, press releases and content initiatives. Cultivates and manages collaborative relationships with media contacts.
- Ensure the company protects and promotes its image and brand in a proper, coordinated and consistent manner.
- Manage the flow of news about the organization to the media.
- Gather and disseminate timely information to press and staff.
- Optimize internal and external communication systems and processes to enhance accuracy of communication.
- Manage and maximize opportunities for engagement on social media including staying current with social media trends and best practices, researching new social media platforms and managing daily content.
- Develop and implement marketing and media relations strategies designed to build appreciation and support of Club programs, services and activities, and to increase participation by youth and teens in the community.
EDUCATION & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- College degree or equivalent
- Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in communications and media relations, including social media
- Superior writing, editing and verbal communications skills
- Able to manage multiple priorities and be attentive to details
- Adobe Creative Suite (preferred)
Job Type: Full-time
- Media Relations: 2 years
- Public Relations: 2 years
The Office of Communications for the Catholic Diocese of St. Augustine is seeking a Full-Time Editorial and Digital Content Coordinator. The qualified candidate will provide timely and engaging editorial content for a bimonthly magazine, website, social media channels and marketing materials. A bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related field, plus 3-5 years of experience in journalism, public relations or contemporary communications strategies is required. Must be knowledgeable of the Catholic faith. Bilingual a plus. We kindly ask that you refrain from phone inquiries. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Kathleen Bagg, director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.